Zamboanga City's Yakan Weaving Village

Most people who go to Zamboanga City think about getting cheap batik and malong from the city's barter center but there are actually beautiful hand woven cloths that you can buy straight from Zamboanga City's Yakan Weaving Village which is located near the La vista del Mar beach resort. We paid 60 pesos to the driver who brought us from Fort Pilar to the Yakan Weaving Center.


A yakan woman weaving


I have read about the Yakan weaving village prior to my travel in Zamboanga. I was actually expecting a community of Yakans weaving and selling their famed Yakan cloth . Sure enough, there were women weaving yakan fabric when I arrived at the Yakan Weaving village but there were only a few of them.


The Yakans are one of the 5 indigenous tribes in Zamboanga and are primarily weavers.


No tribe in the country is reportedly able to imitate the yakan tribe's famed yakan cloth. One of the yakan women I have talked with during my visit at the Yakan Village told me that their family originated in Basilan.


The Yakans make their yakan cloth into table runners, wall decor, coin purse, bags, etc.



It reportedly takes around one week to weave a meter of this cloth

8 comments:

What to do when your IM shows and sends http://nhattruongquang.0catch.com link said...

[...] I was in Zamboanga and was using a public computer to chat with my hubby, my YM buddies sent me messages that my yahoo [...]

ian said...

i luv those clothes. I'm going to buy one.

Pj said...

Very nice cloth. Is it available in Cebu?

Keith San Luis said...

Hi,

I would like to ask for you permission if I could use the photos of the Yakan weaving people in a book that we will make for a non-profit organization.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
Keith San Luis

rhodilee said...

Yes Keith you can use the photos. I will appreciate if you can send me the title of the book, thanks.

earl said...

Truly!!!!!!!!!! The Cloth is a masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!! It has been passed on from one generation to the other!!!!!!!!!! Mabuhay ang kababaihang Yakan!!!!!!!!!! I am so blessed kasi we have this treasures in our home!!!!!!!!!!!! i've collected most of the old designs not anymore produced nowadays......... Sana Apu Ambalang Ausalin, one of the remaining finest weavers of the tribe, could teach her children and grandchildren, that there would be a continuity on the production and preservation of this nearly lost art............. Auntie Lily Cuevas, the princess of the Yakan tribe, granddaughter of Datu Kalun (founder of Lamitan), thanks so much for being my mentor of this art!!!!!!!!!!!

Danie Bouncy said...

I do live in zamboanga And i do have those cloths
I like The Colors and pattern. For me those clothing are like paintings made from Tribal artists

emilyn said...

can i have all the products names and the price as well because were conducting a feasibility study now..im a third year student of Ateneo de Zamboanga University...hoping for your reply:0

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck my Lolly