Cervical Cancer: Preventions and Other Facts

If money can buy you an opportunity to live longer and healthier, how much would it be? Apparently, in my case, it's no less than four thousand pesos. This, to prevent contracting a form of cancer that commonly afflicts women-- cervical cancer.

Cervical cancer is the second most common form of cancer among Filipino women. Around 7200 cases are reported each year and half of those diagnosed die within five years.

The HPV Vaccine

Getting HPV vaccinated can substantially decrease one's chances of contracting cervical cancer. An HPV vaccination prevents infection by certain species of the human papilloma virus (HPV) associated with the development of cervical cancer and genital warts.
Cervical Cancer Vaccine Cost
Unfortunately, the cost of HPV vaccine in the Philippines is prohibitive. I had to make some financial sacrifices so I can have my first shot of the Gardasil HPV vaccine. The first dose alone costs four thousand pesos. Gardasil requires three doses. The doctor told me my second dose will be two months after my first injection.

Is It Worth It?
Contracting a disease is as uncertain as winning or losing in a card game.
Nevertheless, it helps to have preventive measures in place. The sacrifice and monetary cost of the vaccine is worth it as long as it can protect me from the potential perils of cervical cancer.

I just hope that the price of this wonder vaccine will decrease drastically soon so it can become accessible to more women.

***
May is the cervical cancer awareness month in the Philippines. It's also my birth month. I guess I started the month right by finally getting HPV vaccinated :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck my Lolly